Monday, June 22, 2009

Fathers Day


It is interesting to think about Fathers Day and the impact our Fathers have had on us. My Father passed away many years ago, and I am not adept at telling stories like my wife. You can read her posts about her Father at Chisamba.

My Father was a very quiet man, he lead a dynamic and violent life prior to joining the US Army. My dad suffered greatly in the last few years of his life. He was one of the first men to be officially diagnosed with breast cancer, and eventually the cancer had spread through out his body. It was not pleasant, but he persevered through out the ordeal, he wanted to live and do what he did day in and day out.

I knew little of his life in Bulgaria and what his family were like. The past few years I have had contact with the family, and still very little was said about the history of the family, etc. I did get a chance to see some photographs that I had never seen of my Father, including some of my sister and I.

As the years continue to the pass, I realize that society and people are changing. It will be a much different world when we pass then what we were born into. Changes were drastic from the 1800's to the 1900's and the same with 1900 to 2000. But just look at the last 30 years of change, it is a totally different world. You can compare it to the changes from the handwritten letters and the pony express compared to the telephone compared to the Internet, or the horse and buggy compared to the car compared to the airplane. Our world has changed and so have we as a people, neighbors, communities, towns, cities, states and a country.




No comments:

Post a Comment